Documents: CRRRC Cover  letter_English  CRRRC NoA_English    CRRRC Cover letter_French  CRRRC NoA_French

A major waste facility proposed for Ottawa’s eastern edge that attracted opposition from residents and city council has been approved by the province’s environment ministry.

The proposed waste facility at Boundary Road and Highway 417 would accept a variety of waste generated in Ontario including industrial, commercial, construction, and demolition waste.

The project by Taggart Miller Environmental Services has been a lightning rod for criticism in the nearby Carlsbad Springs area.

It has also faced opposition at city council where there were concerns about the environmental impact of the project and whether the site, which aims to divert nearly half its waste, would primarily be used as a landfill.

On Monday the province’s ministry of the environment and climate change said it was approving the project, after Taggart Miller agreed to fifteen conditions, including that it:

  • Ensure waste diversion facilities are operational before accepting waste at the landfill.
  • Ensure stormwater management systems are designed to withstand severe storm events.
  • Prepare dust management and odour abatement plans and develop a plan for spills and other events that may leach waste into the soil.
  • Study traffic implications of facility and consult on intersection improvements.
  • Demonstrate how the company will comply with provincial regulations.
  • Report annually to the ministry on compliance.
  • Develop a protocol for managing public complaints, including establishing a community liaison committee.

In a letter to the province last year, mayor Jim Watson and councillor Stephen Blais had asked the facility not be granted approval.

In their letter they expressed “grave concerns” about the facility, both the potential local environmental impact on wells and air quality, as well as the implications on traffic and the environment from shipping waste in and out of the city.

A spokesperson for Blais said the councillor declined to comment until he had a chance to review the province’s approval.

Plans to divert 43 to 57 per cent of waste

Taggart Miller has set an overall diversion target of 43 to 57 per cent over the 30-year life span of the facility, and “provide landfill disposal for materials that are not diverted,” the province said.

Michelle Taggart, the director of development with Taggart Investments and Tamarack Homes, said in a statement Taggart Miller Environmental Services was “very pleased to have reached this important milestone.”

“The Capital Region Resource Recovery Facility will bring new and innovative commercial waste management programs and technologies to the capital region,” she wrote.

“We still have much to do to make our vision for this leading edge sustainability project a reality. We are committed to working in consultation with all of our stakeholders as we move forward.”

Under the terms of the provincial approval, Taggart Miller must begin construction of the site within 10 years.


Province approves new waste facility at Ottawa’s east boundary

A community group fighting to stop a new waste facility from opening in rural east Ottawa is stunned that Ontario Ministry of Environment and Climate Change has approved the project.

“I’m disappointed in our government, very much so,” Lucie Régimbald said Monday as word circulated that the province had signed off on the Capital Region Resource Recovery Centre (CRRC) to be built by Taggart Miller Environmental Services.

Régimbald, a member of the Capital Region Citizens Coalition for the Protection of the Environment, said the group had high hopes that Environment Minister Glen Murray would block the waste facility from being established on a parcel of land south of Highway 417 and east of Boundary Road.

“We really did, especially now since Minister Murray claims to be the champion of the environment,” Régimbald said.

In Murray’s reasons for approving the project, he said the project had complied with legal requirements for an environmental assessment. Taggart Miller’s conclusion that “the advantages of this undertaking outweigh its disadvantages appears to be valid,” according to the minister’s notice of approval.

“The proponent has demonstrated that the environmental effects of the undertaking can be appropriately prevented, changed, mitigated or remedied,” the notice said.

The City of Ottawa is powerless in the approval process since the facility will serve the industrial, commercial and institutional sector. The city is only in charge of residential waste.

The city did, however, send comments to the ministry on the CRRC application regarding odour control, leachate treatment and coverage areas.

Opponents are concerned about the amount of truck traffic carrying waste to and from the site, the potential effects on well water and the smell of garbage.

The project goes back seven years, when Taggart Miller was deciding where to build the facility. By 2012, the conglomerate zeroed in on the Ottawa property after considering another piece of land in the north part of Russell Township.

The Ottawa property would eventually become the proposed site for the dump and recycling operation.

In its environmental assessment, Taggart Miller assumed the site would operate at a maximum waste capacity of 450,000 tonnes annually. Taggart Miller also predicted a waste diversion rate of between 43 and 57 per cent over 30 years. The rest of the garbage would go into a landfill.

Taggart Miller is required to establish a community liaison committee and to invite interested residents from Russell Township.

In a statement issued on Monday evening, the waste management company said: “Taggart Miller Environmental Services are very pleased to have reached this important milestone. The Capital Region Resource Recovery Facility will bring new and innovative commercial waste management programs and technologies to the Capital Region. We still have much to do to make our vision for this leading edge sustainability project a reality. We are committed to working in consultation with all of our stakeholders as we move forward.”

While the city couldn’t do much to stop the project, it provided up to $50,000 to community groups to hire experts during the environmental assessment process.

Régimbald is particularly disappointed that the province won’t hold a hearing on the application.

“We don’t even have a chance to have our expert demonstrate our own point of view,” Régimbald said.

The community group has a lawyer reviewing its options, she said.


Le ministère de l’Environnement et de l’Action en matière de changement climatique a officiellement approuvé lundi le projet de Taggart Miller Environmental Services dans le quartier Cumberland, après des années de controverses.

Un texte d’Antoine Trépanier

Des citoyens sont mobilisés depuis 2010 contre le projet de la compagnie Taggart Miller, qui souhaite construire au sud de l’autoroute 417 le Centre de récupération des ressources de la région de la capitale.

La parcelle en question occupe une superficie de 182 hectares et est située près de l’intersection des chemins Boundary et Devine.

Ce projet soulève depuis des années une vive opposition des résidents du secteur et des élus d’Ottawa. Le maire, Jim Watson, a déjà exprimé des craintes relativement aux conséquences sur la qualité de l’air, du sol, et sur les problèmes de circulation dans ce secteur. La municipalité de Russell rejette également ce projet.

L’entreprise propose d’y traiter 300 000 tonnes déchets provenant des secteurs industriel, commercial, institutionnel, de la construction et de la démolition de l’Ontario.

« L’approbation a été accordée après que Taggart Miller a répondu à toutes les exigences obligatoires et démontré que tous les effets environnementaux potentiels seront adéquatement pris en compte », note le ministère dans une déclaration écrite envoyée aux médias lundi.

L’entreprise Taggart Miller devra toutefois respecter 15 conditions si elle souhaite exploiter son centre de tri. Par exemple, elle devra démontrer comment l’entreprise se conformera à la réglementation provinciale, faire rapport annuellement au ministère sur la conformité des opérations, établir un protocole de gestion des plaintes publiques avec un comité de liaison communautaire et assurer que le système de gestion des eaux pluviales soit conçu pour supporter des tempêtes violentes.

Le gouvernement demande également à Taggart Miller de « faire en sorte que les installations de réacheminement des déchets soient opérationnelles avant que des déchets soient acceptés au site d’enfouissement, dans le but de maximiser les efforts de réacheminement ».

« Étant donné la croissance de la population et l’accroissement des quantités de déchets qui sont générées, la province reconnaît qu’on a besoin de méthodes nouvelles et novatrices d’amélioration du réacheminement, et qu’il faut réduire l’effet des sites d’enfouissement sur l’environnement et réduire le nombre de nouveaux sites d’enfouissement dont on aura besoin au cours des deux prochaines décennies », soutient le ministère.

La construction du dépotoir devrait commencer d’ici dix ans.

Les opposants sont déçus, l’entreprise ravie

Les opposants à ce projet n’ont pas mis de temps à qualifier de « dommage » et « difficile » la décision de la province dans cette affaire. La vice-présidente du groupe DumpthisDump 2, Lucie Régimbald, soutient que les citoyens ont été tenus à l’écart, sans nouvelles, trop longtemps et que la décision ne semble pas justifiée.

« La chose la plus triste dans cela, c’est qu’ils laissent un nouveau dépotoir alors qu’on a refusé celui [de la route] Carp de faire venir les déchets du Québec. Il ne s’agit pas d’une décision environnementale, c’est seulement économique comme décision », a déclaré Mme Régimbald.

Chez Taggart Miller, la décision a été accueillie avec enthousiasme, après plusieurs années d’incertitude.

« Nous avons encore beaucoup à faire pour que notre vision de ce projet de développement de pointe soit une réalité. Nous sommes déterminés à travailler en consultation avec tous nos partenaires à mesure que nous avançons », a déclaré par voie de communiqué la directrice du développement chez Taggart Investments et Tamarack Homes.

Pour sa part, le conseiller municipal du secteur, Stephen Blais, a refusé de commenter avant d’avoir pris connaissance des détails de la décision. Ce dernier s’est publiquement opposé à ce projet. Selon nos informations, M. Blais a communiqué avec les opposants pour leur souligner qu’il verra s’il y a une possibilité de contester cette décision.

Toutefois, puisque l’affaire n’a pas été envoyée devant le Tribunal de l’environnement, il semblerait que la seule voie de contestation possible soit politique. À cet effet, le maire Jim Watson et le conseiller Blais pourraient faire des pressions pour que Queen’s Park recule, mais on ignore encore quelles sont leurs intentions pour la suite des choses.

Sources / media provided by:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/province-approves-new-waste-facility-at-ottawas-east-boundary

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/actualites/other/le-gouvernement-de-lontario-approuve-un-projet-de-dépotoir-controversé-à-ottawa/ar-BBC6oaf

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/boundary-road-landfill-proposal-1.4146594